Sunday 19 January 2014

Chapter 17 | Nancy Drew and the Doughnut Den

"If I regarded my life from the point of view of the pessimist, I should be undone. I should seek in vain for the light that does not visit my eyes and the music that does not ring in my ears. I should beg night and day and never be satisfied. I should sit apart in awful solitude, a prey to fear and despair. But since I consider it a duty to myself and to others to be happy, I escape a misery worse than any physical deprivation." - Helen Keller


After the accident, we went from doctor to doctor. I hated it but Papa and Mama wanted to look for alternate options. They, somehow, hoped that they could prove the doctors wrong. That I would regain my eyesight somehow.

We didn't have medical aid and Papa couldn't afford to take me to a private hospital so I sat in public hospitals from the early hours of the day waiting to eventually be called in.

I never understood what had happened to me. I woke up the next morning in Mama's bed with a little girls face peering into mine. The scab on the side of my face represented a mask in itself and she immediately retreated in fear.

People came to visit, sympathizing, bringing gifts and cards that made me feel special. Yet, I never understood the detriment of that accident till much later. I only reveled in the attention.

You see, today's youth (and I don't mean to sound like a Khala who knows it all) are obsessive about their appearance from a young age. I was eight, but I was never phased by my looks. When I glanced at myself in the mirror I never saw a girl with a squint eye, I saw someone who needed her hair combed or her teeth brushed because her Mama said so.

I sat in an endless line of waiting rooms with Papa and Mama patiently, not sharing in their concern. So I had lost sight in my one eye but I still had sight in the other. All was well in my world. Or so I thought.

The next year we moved schools. Papa had a job further away from home. Mama dropped us off every morning before Papa left for work and sometimes she would give us 20c to buy something from the sweet lady outside. On a good day we'd get 50c and spent the entire day eagerly waiting for home time so we could buy red juice in a clear rabbit shaped plastic container.

By then, Eesa had started Grade One. He's teacher was Madam Moorat, which I thought odd because she had eyes.

My form teacher was also our English teacher and through her I developed a passion for literature. I never realized it then but each week she would give me a set of books that was different from the classes and asked my opinion on them.

I gulped the words like they were a packet of Mochacho's chips and I submerged myself into a world of my own – a world where fiction brought meaning to life.

Reading was my superpower.

Mama would take us every Saturday to the library in Brixton and I had read every Nancy Drew book there was to be found. I had several favorite authors though and Mama would sometimes point out books she had read in her childhood years. I looked forward to turning 13, only because I would then be permitted to take out six books on my name instead of the meager three I had to make do with.

By the end of that weekend I had read all the books I had taken out and I eventually took to reading the books Mama brought home. Papa disapproved though and would reprimand me strongly if he ever caught me reading ‘their’ books.

After the library Mama would take us to this amazing doughnut shop that had opened up on Church Street in Mayfair. They sold doughnuts for R2 and we were treated to a doughnut each. I looked forward to Saturday for two reasons:

1)     Our trips to the library
2)     The weekly treat from the Doughnut Den

I was determined to become a librarian when I was older so that I could spend all my time amongst the one thing I loved most in the world; books.

1 comment: