Tuesday 4 March 2014

Chapter 25 | Cruella's hairy nostrils

There was this one girl in madressa that bullied me relentlessly. Even now, as an adult, the mere thought of her makes my stomach churn a beat faster than Kim Kardashian spreads her legs. I was thirteen, pre-pubescent and unsure of myself. My darker than Indian skin made me stick out like the protruding stomach of a starved Somalian kid, it didn’t help either that our financial situation did not deem me fit for the league of (self-deemed) extraordinary Indianism. 

I was the only batsman on my team and even though I had what could be called a ‘big mouth’ I contained no finesse. I didn’t know how to stand up for myself without ending up with a foot in my mouth, and that too, one of my own.

I’ve never used the word bitch liberally, but at the mere sight of her, you’d think that was the only word my vocabulary contained.

To paint a mental image; she was thin, of average height, pale in complexion (without bordering on anaemic) with long dainty fingers. The one thing that really stood out for me was her nose. It was precisely pointed but her nostrils extended inwards giving any one that looked her a way a clear view of the hair that grew along the insides.

She was pretty no doubt, but I was in a battle against Cruella and no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t counter react. I was not without flaws, not now and not then either. Perhaps it was something I had said or done that had set her off, whatever it was I wish 13 year old me knew that sometimes the best battles are fought in silence and that not retaliating isn’t always a sign of weakness.


I never related all these incidents to my parents. It’s not that they wouldn’t have listened, I just didn’t feel it was their battle to bear. I wanted to handle it on my own, regardless of how tough it was.

 Sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I told them. Would things have been easier? Better in fact?

No comments:

Post a Comment