Thursday 24 July 2014

Chapter 38 | Dear God | ‘You don’t do anything I tell you to!’


29/06/2004

Dear God

Two days of the holidays have gone by and NOTHING exciting has happened. My kind of exciting. Sigh.
We might be going to East London for a week. I repeat, MIGHT.

Appa Sumayya has invited our entire class and a few other girls from the madressa for a get together the Friday before her wedding. The dreaded ‘I don’t have anything to wear’ plagues me.

Mama and I had an argument in the week. As usual it resulted in a long-winded lecture about my attitude. I guess being a teenager is never the easiest part, for both parties involved. Sometimes I wonder whether I am subjected to this by my own will or whether the forces of nature are conniving bitches.

The general issue being complaints of ‘you don’t do anything I tell you to.’ I don’t get that about parents. What happened to looking at others with children worse off than your own? It’s almost like Mama finds this need to pinpoint my faults as if I can’t acknowledge them for myself. Why is it so much worse when one of your own criticizes you than when an outsider does the same?

It difficult being a parent, I get that. Really I do. But sometimes I wish they weren't on our cases all the time.
All this ‘you think you’re too big for your (non-existent) boots’ versus ‘stop behaving like a kid’ is seriously messing with my mojo.

Thanks for listening

Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment